The famous Galleria connects the plaza of the Cathedral to the Piazza della Scala. Building began in 1865 under the direction of Giuseppe Mengoni who died in 1877 after falling from the scaffolding when the Galleria was almost completed.
The arcade is known as the “drawing-room” of Milan because it is lined with luxurious cafés, elegant shops and important bookshops.
It is cross shaped, with one arm 637 feet long and the other 341 feet. The cupola is made of iron and glass and at its highest point is 152 feet tall. The four mosaics in the lunettes above the octagonal court, show Europe, Africa, Asia and America and in the lunettes at the end of each arm: Agriculture, Art, Science and Industry.