In the center of the plaza we find the Monument to Leonardo da Vinci by Pietro Magni (1872). Four statues of the Milanese disciples of Leonardo, Marco d’Oggriono, G. Antonio Boltraftio, Andrea Salaino and Cesare da Sesto stand at the corners of the pedestal. In the square is located the La Scala Theater and to the right, Palazzo Marino, seat of the town council from 1860.
This magnificent building which is still one of the most beautiful in Milan, was begun in 1553 under the direction of Galeazzo Alessi, and was commissioned by Tommaso Marino, a Genoese, who died, however, before its completion.
The town council finally decided to continue construction and appointed Luca Beltrami (1886-92), who finished the facade which faces the Piazza della Scala and constructed the great internal staircase which leads to the upper stories. The original facade looks onto Piazza S. Fedele. Inside, besides the beautiful portico courtyard with twin columns and loggia, richly decorated with statues and reliefs, there is also an interesting hall called the Sala dell’Alessi decorated with gesso reliefs and paintings by Ottavio Semini.