Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio

Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio.jpg
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio.jpg
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio (4).jpg
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio (1).jpg
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio (3).jpg
95 Corso di Porta Ticinese Milano Lombardia 20123 IT

This church is, after St. Ambrogio, the most noteworthy medieval Milanese edifice. It rises in the square of same name in the modestly picturesque neighborhood of Porta Ticinese. It was started in the 4th century and rebuilt in Romanesque style in the 11th century.

The interior has recently been restored under the supervision of the superintendent of historical place. In the right transept is the Chapel of the Three Kings. Its sacred relics were taken away by Emperor Frederick I “Barbarossa”. A part of them were returned in 1903. Behind the apse is the Portinari chapel, a jewel of Renaissance architecture. The walls are decorated with frescos by Vincenzo Foppa. In the center of the chapel is the very beautiful 14th century marble tomb consecrated to the Dominican friar, Pietro da Verona.

The church of San Gottardo in Corte (5).jpg
0.32 km
The construction of the church which is incorporated into the Royal Palace (the entrance is from via Pecorari) began in the first half of the 14th century. Azzone Visconti had i...
Basilica of San Lorenzo Maggiore (8).jpg
0.46 km
Traces of Roman and Paleo-Christian architecture are still clearly recognizable in the structure of this church located on Corso di Porta Ticinese. The square in front of the ch...
Colonne di San Lorenzo (2).jpg
0.47 km
These are sixteen columns and a section of the relative architrave which were originally part of a temple or perhaps a public baths complex. They date back to the end of the 2nd...
Santa Maria presso San Celso (4).jpg
0.51 km
Built between 1490 and 1570; the shelves of the sacristy are full of valuable objects. ...
Palazzo Durini (2).jpg
0.69 km
It is one of the most beautful examples of civil construction by Richini (dated 1645-48) The outstanding feature of the facade is its tremendous portal. Inside is a colonnade wi...
Francesco Messina Museum (2).jpg
0.78 km
This is a very original type of museum: it displays the works of the sculptor Francesco Messina. It is something new on the order of museums because here we find a museum-studio...
Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio  (13).jpg
1.02 km
This Basilica, which stands in the square bearing the same name, reflects sixteen centuries of history. It is the queen and mother of Lombard churches. This Paleo-Christian buil...
Palazzo Borromeo (4).jpg
1.05 km
The rather plain façade of this 15th century mansion is interesting for its Gothic entrance. Its pointed arch is accented with two colors of cut stone and by three marble border...
Church of San Sepolcro (1).jpg
1.05 km
It has been remodeled many times since its founding in 1030; the faÇade however, has been restored to its primitive Lombard style. A vast crypt, that extends the length of the c...
The Basilica of San Nazaro Maggiore (4).jpg
1.06 km
Founded in the 4th century, it was rebuilt in Romanesque style after the fire of 1705; the Chapel of San Lino contains important 10th century frescos. ...
Santa Maria presso San Satiro (5).jpg
1.1 km
This church stands on Via Torino close to the Piazza del Duomo. The original building was erected at the time of Archishop Ansperto (10th century). Of this, only the chapel (Cap...
The Ambrosian Library and its Art Gallery (2).jpg
Founded bv Cardinal Federico Borromeo in 1609 and built by Fabio Mangone and Francesco Maria Richini, the Ambrosian Library is one of the most remarkable demonstrations of the g...
The Leonardo da Vinci National Museum of Science and Technology (6).jpg
This museum, which has no egual in Italy, was founded by the engineer Guido Uccelli. It was inaugurated in 1953 with the great exhibition held for the Vth centenary of Leonardo&...
Loggia degli Osii (2).jpg
1.27 km
The Loggia of the Osii was built by Matteo Visconti in 1316. It was restored in 1904 and the deformations of the XVIIth. and XVIIIth. centuries were removed. The façade, with tw...
Palazzo Crivelli (3).JPG
1.28 km
There are two Andalusian style balconies and a portal with granite doorposts. Its style is typical of the 17th century It has well preserved architectural frescos in perspective...
1.28 km
The palace stands in the rectangular square on the southern side of the cathedral; it is a wide building with a Neoclassical front and two lateral wings. It is of ancient origin...
Piazza Mercanti (5).jpg
1.28 km
Between the Piazza Mercanti and Via Mercanti – just west of the Duomo – there is a group of buildings that splendidy illustrates the development of Milanese architec...
Antico Ospedale Maggiore (2).jpg
1.29 km
Once called by the Milanese “Ca’ Granda” (the Big House) this building was commissioned by Francesco Sforza who, in 1456, decided to gather into one hospital the numerous ...
San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (3).jpg
1.3 km
The church is at 15 Corso Magenta. It was consecrated in 1519. It belonged to a convent of Benedictine nuns called “Maggiore” because it was the largest and most imp...
Church of San Vittore al Corpo (7).jpg
1.3 km
Romanesque basilica reconstructed in the 16th century; the wooden choir in the chancel is magnificent. ...
Showing 1 - 20 of 75 results
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio (3).jpg 1 year ago
  • You must to post comments
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio (1).jpg 1 year ago
  • You must to post comments
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio (4).jpg 1 year ago
  • You must to post comments
Basilica of Sant'Eustorgio.jpg 1 year ago
  • You must to post comments
Showing 4 results