St. Maria Della Passione’s Church rises between Via Conservatorio and Via V. Beilini. It was built by oder of Domenico Birago, Prothonotary Apostolical, appointed by Sisto IV as Church Collector in Milan and entitled Archibishop of Mitilene.
Basilica of Santa Maria della Passione was assigned to the Lateran Canons and it was almost finished in 1485. The octagonal two- ranges dome and the apse were designed by Cristoforo Solari called “Humpback”. The baroque front, built later on, seems to be mutilated because of its limited height. Since 1808 the annexe convent has been the seat of the Academy of Music “G. Verdi”. The church interior with three aisles was reconstructed several times.
It contains various Lombard Renaissance pictures as, for instance: “The Deposition from the Cross” by Bernardino Luini, “The Redeemer” by Ambrogio Da Fossano, “The Supper” by Gaudenzio Ferrari, “The Calvary” by Don Pietro Bocchi Da Bagnara, “St. Francesco D’Assisi” by Camillo Procaccini, “St. Carlo Borromeo’s fast” by Daniele Crespi. The sacristy dome was adorned and frescoed by Bergognone. Daniela Birago’s sepulchral monument was built by Andrea Fusina in 1495.