Monumental Cemetery (Cimitero Monumentale)

Monumental Cemetery (Cimitero Monumentale).jpg
Unnamed Road Milano Lombardia 20154 IT

An iron fence rails off the external square from the internal one, closed in by the building which flow into one another to the centre of the building built as a sepuchral shrine. In this cemetery are buried the remains of illustrious citizens, when they are not actually buried here, they are remembered with medallions, busts and tombstones.

The monumental construction is 51 meters high with a wide staircase leading up to the shrine itself. The main body is attached to the wings by- galleries on the ground floor, these contain burial niches, and loggias on the upper floor where the actual tombs are found. On the front of the entrance to the shrine can be seen the bronze statue of Glory, work of the sculptor Lodovico Pogliaghi, who is also responsible for the mosaic work on the doors.

In the centre of he shrine can be seen he tomb of Alessandro Manzoni, this is placed on a base in altorilievo. work of Giannino Castiglioni. The monumental Cemetery and its buildings, in Lombardic style, is the work of the architect Carlo Maciachini, the details are freely developed with bizantinc forms.

The enclosure, in living rock, is scattered with small chapels erected by private people on free-style designs. The Cemetery is full of monuments and valuable works done by the best architects and sculptors of the time.

Among the most note-worthy of the minie-teenth and twentieth centuries we can name: Butti, Lodovico Pogliaghi, Leonardo Bisolfi, Vincenzo Vela, Alfeo Bedeschi, Messina, Manzu, Giannino Castiglioni; Adolfo Wildt is present with his long-bodied figures representing men immersed in the sleep of death with such impressive sculptural anatomy. On one side of the entrance there is a Jewish cemetery and a non-catholic one.

At the end of the main avenue there is the crematorium built in 1875 with the monei left by the nromoter of cremation, Alberto Keller.

The Arch of Peace (2).jpg
1.36 km
Found in the semicircular opening of Piazzale Sempione, this is a regular construction with precise height limits; the Arch of Peace rising in isolation is considered the most r...
Basilica of San Simpliciano (2).jpg
1.59 km
This Basilica was one of the first churches to be constructed in Milan-Sant’Ambrogio was responsible for initiating the plans to build it (4th cent.) but it was completed ...
Piccolo Teatro (1).png
Just a few meters from Via Dante and next to the old Palazzo del Carmagnola is the Piccolo Teatro that was founded in 1947 by Paolo Grassi and Giorgio Strehler. The aim was not ...
La Triennale di Milano  (4).jpg
The exact name of this international exposition is “Esposizione Internazionale delle Arti Decorative e Industrial Moderne e dell Architettura Moderna”. It exhibits contemporary ...
San Marco Church in Milan (5).jpg
1.78 km
The church was constructed about 1254 on the site of one already in existence dedicated to St. Mark. It was built to show the Venetians Milan’s appreciation for having reb...
Sforzesco Castle (11).jpg
1.88 km
What we see today is only a part of the original citadel which, at the beginning, consisted of other forts enclosed in a great star-shaped ramparted fortress. The perimetral dev...
Brera Picture Gallery (1).jpg
1.88 km
The name Brera come from the place where the “Umiliati” (an order of religious men and laymen) built their house within the city walls in about 1170. In the 13th century t...
Museum of the Risorgimento (3).jpg
1.92 km
(National Revival) – (23 Via Borgonuovo tel. 803.539) – Exhibits dating from the mid-18th century to 1914 in which there was a national revival and struggle to unite...
Ca' de Sass.jpg
2.19 km
The Museum of History, ‘Ca’ de sass”, so called on account of the large stones projecting from its exterior walls, is housed in a small building on 11 Via Ande...
Museo Poldi Pezzoli (8).jpg
The apartment in Via Manzoni No. 12 in which the Poldi Pezzoli Museum is housed, was destined to become a museum bv a member of a noble family, Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli in 187...
Villa Reale and Modern Art Gallery (12).jpg
2.38 km
This building is commonly called the ’’Royal Villa” but it was built by the Viennese architecht Leopold Poliak in 1790 as the home of Count Lodovico Barbiano di Belgioioso...
Palazzo Litta (4).jpg
Also known as “Palazzo Arese”, it was enlarged by the Litta family in 1700. The architect B.Bolla was commissioned to work over Richini’s original construction...
Teatro alia Scala (Scala Theatre) (1).jpg
The building with severe lines stands on one side of the Piazza della Scala. In the center of the square is the monument to Leonardo da Vinci by the sculptor Pietro Magni (1872)...
Palazzo Clerici (1).jpg
2.4 km
This splendid palace, built in the early decades of the 18th century contains a magnificent gallery of tapestries and a famous fresco painted by Giambattista Tiepolo about 1740,...
San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (3).jpg
2.42 km
The church is at 15 Corso Magenta. It was consecrated in 1519. It belonged to a convent of Benedictine nuns called “Maggiore” because it was the largest and most imp...
Manzoni's house (3).jpg
2.44 km
In Piazza Belgioioso, other than the building which gives it its name, we can see Palazzo Besana and Manzoni’s house. This latter is very dear to the people of Milan as their ow...
Leonardo Da Vinci, Piazza Della Scala, Milan, Italy.JPG
2.46 km
In the center of the plaza we find the Monument to Leonardo da Vinci by Pietro Magni (1872). Four statues of the Milanese disciples of Leonardo, Marco d’Oggriono, G. Anton...
Palazzo Belgioioso (2).jpeg
2.48 km
Piermarini constructed this palace for the princes, Antonio and Alberico Barbiano of Belgioioso between the years 1772 and 1781. The façade has three stories of twenty-five wind...
Palazzo Marino (1).jpg
2.49 km
This was built between 1553 and 1558 by Galeazzo Alessi for the Genoese merchant. Tommaso Marino The courtyard walls and columns are richly adorned with modeled concrete heads, ...
Palazzo del Senato (2).JPG
2.49 km
Fabio Mangone, the master builder of the Duomo and favorite arch tect of Cardinal Federico Borromeo began to construct this austere edifice in 1620. It was intended to house the...
Showing 1 - 20 of 75 results
Monumental Cemetery (Cimitero Monumentale).jpg 1 year ago
  • You must to post comments
Showing 1 result