Loggia degli Osii

Loggia degli Osii (2).jpg
Loggia degli Osii (2).jpg
Loggia degli Osii (1).jpg
Loggia degli Osii (3).jpg
9 Piazza dei Mercanti Milano Lombardia 20123 IT

The Loggia of the Osii was built by Matteo Visconti in 1316. It was restored in 1904 and the deformations of the XVIIth. and XVIIIth. centuries were removed.

The façade, with two superimposed loggias, is built in black and white marble. In the centre of the upper loggia there is a balcony commonly known as the “Parlera”, on which can be seen the heraldic signs of the various quarters of Milan, plus the Viscontis’ coat-of-arms. On the other loggis, in niches especially built for them, are statues of Milanese saints, the work of Campionese and Comoese artists.

On one side of the Loggia of the Osii stands the building of the Palatine Schools. The façade is the work of Seregni, who followed the lines of the Juriconsults’ Building. At the top of the great staircase, there is a bronze bust of C. M. Maggi, a poet who wrote in Italian and the Vernacular Milanese dialect.

Francesco Messina Museum (2).jpg
0.61 km
This is a very original type of museum: it displays the works of the sculptor Francesco Messina. It is something new on the order of museums because here we find a museum-studio...
San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (3).jpg
0.69 km
The church is at 15 Corso Magenta. It was consecrated in 1519. It belonged to a convent of Benedictine nuns called “Maggiore” because it was the largest and most imp...
Basilica of San Carlo al Corso (3).jpg
0.7 km
The present day basilica of St. Carlo was built on the site of the old church and convent ol the Servants of Mary. When preparations for Ferdinando I of Austria’s entrance into ...
The Basilica of San Nazaro Maggiore (4).jpg
0.74 km
Founded in the 4th century, it was rebuilt in Romanesque style after the fire of 1705; the Chapel of San Lino contains important 10th century frescos. ...
Palazzo Litta (4).jpg
Also known as “Palazzo Arese”, it was enlarged by the Litta family in 1700. The architect B.Bolla was commissioned to work over Richini’s original construction...
Palazzo Morando (1).JPG
0.81 km
The correct name would be Palazzo Morando Attendolo Bolognim. It now contains a municipal museum collection. The Barocchetto style facade has been partly remodeled. The staircas...
Museum of Milan and of Modern History.jpg
0.82 km
Illustrations and paintings recall the historical events of the city from the 17th to the early years of the 20th century. ...
Brera Picture Gallery (1).jpg
0.83 km
The name Brera come from the place where the “Umiliati” (an order of religious men and laymen) built their house within the city walls in about 1170. In the 13th century t...
Basilica of San Lorenzo Maggiore (8).jpg
0.84 km
Traces of Roman and Paleo-Christian architecture are still clearly recognizable in the structure of this church located on Corso di Porta Ticinese. The square in front of the ch...
Seminario Maggiore (3).jpg
0.85 km
At No. 11 Corso Venezia we can see the building which was once the “Seminario Maggiore” founded by St. Carlo in 1561, this buildings built on the site of the ancient “Umil...
Palazzo Toscanini.jpg
0.85 km
This 17th century mansion is the dwelling of the famous orchestra conductor s family. On the outside is a superb wrought iron railing on the central balcony The larghe front doo...
Palazzo Sormani (3).jpg
0.85 km
This mansion was originally constructed in the Barocchetto style. In 1736, the architect Croce enlarged on the initial 17th century plan and it was considered one of the most lu...
Antico Ospedale Maggiore (2).jpg
0.86 km
Once called by the Milanese “Ca’ Granda” (the Big House) this building was commissioned by Francesco Sforza who, in 1456, decided to gather into one hospital the numerous ...
Colonne di San Lorenzo (2).jpg
0.87 km
These are sixteen columns and a section of the relative architrave which were originally part of a temple or perhaps a public baths complex. They date back to the end of the 2nd...
Museum of the Risorgimento (3).jpg
0.88 km
(National Revival) – (23 Via Borgonuovo tel. 803.539) – Exhibits dating from the mid-18th century to 1914 in which there was a national revival and struggle to unite...
The Basilica of San Babila (1).jpg
0.88 km
The basilica ol San Babila, now squashed in by modern buildings, was, perhaps, built at the end of the Xlth century on the site of another, but older, church founded by St. Lore...
Sforzesco Castle (11).jpg
0.93 km
What we see today is only a part of the original citadel which, at the beginning, consisted of other forts enclosed in a great star-shaped ramparted fortress. The perimetral dev...
Palazzo Silvestri Fontana (4).jpg
0.96 km
This linear and unadorned façade makes it a typical example of 15th century Milanese architecture. There is a wrought iron balcony on the exterior above the main door which is d...
Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio  (13).jpg
0.97 km
This Basilica, which stands in the square bearing the same name, reflects sixteen centuries of history. It is the queen and mother of Lombard churches. This Paleo-Christian buil...
Piccolo Teatro (1).png
Just a few meters from Via Dante and next to the old Palazzo del Carmagnola is the Piccolo Teatro that was founded in 1947 by Paolo Grassi and Giorgio Strehler. The aim was not ...
Showing 21 - 40 of 75 results
Loggia degli Osii (3).jpg 2 years ago
  • You must to post comments
Loggia degli Osii (1).jpg 2 years ago
  • You must to post comments
Loggia degli Osii (2).jpg 2 years ago
  • You must to post comments
Showing 3 results