Important agricultural and industrial centre. The Castello, built in 1382 by Gian Galeazzo Visconti and later spoilt by alterations, still reveals some interesting parts of the original construction on the outside.
In the Basilica di Santa Maria Nuova the finest element is the gracious four-arched portico. Renaissance in style, it is decorated with terracottas and busts. Against the facade is a harmonious Renaissance arcade (1497) by Bramante.
The basilica contains 15th cent. graffito decoration. A short walk away is the Chiesa Abbaziale di Santa Maria di Morimondo, built between 1186 and 1292. Cistercian-Gothic in style, the interior is composed of a nave and two aisles divided by heavy pillars.
There is a 14th cent. holy-water stoup, surmounted by a statue of the Virgin and Child, probably by Bonino da Campione, whose work belongs to the second half of the 14th cent.